Posted By Cormac Sheridan ~ 3rd May 2013
Motorcyclist / Pillion Passenger Fatalities – 1st January 2011 to 2nd May 2013
· 2011: A total of 17 motorcyclists and 1 pillion passenger were killed
· 2012: A total of 16 motorcyclist and 3 pillion passengers were killed
· 2013: A total of 6 motorcyclist have been killed year to date – the same number as the corresponding period last year
· The four most common types of collision seen over recent years involving motorcyclists and other vehicles were:-
1. A motorcyclist overtaking another vehicle turning right resulting in the motorcyclist colliding head on into the side of the turning vehicle
2. A motorcyclist overtaking a vehicle travelling in the same direction colliding head on with an oncoming vehicle.
3. A motorcyclist losing control while taking a corner and crossing into the path of an oncoming vehicle resulting in a head on collision.
4. Another vehicle turning or driving through a junction / joining a main road from a minor road colliding with a motorcyclist